- Courts & Playgrounds: Beacon City parks remain open. However, in light of new guidance from the state, our playgrounds, basketball courts and skate park will close. We know from regular monitoring that Beacon residents are doing a great job of social distancing. Keep it up. Enjoy the parks, but not playgrounds or basketball courts.
- Unemployment: The NYS Department of Labor website now has a new streamlined application for unemployment that should handle new cases and reduce frustration.
- Emotional Helpline: This time can be hard emotionally – It’s a full rollercoaster of feelings. For any of you who are struggling, New York State has a Coronavirus Emotional Support Helpline at 844-863-9314. Call from 8am-10pm 7 days per week. There’s absolutely no shame in asking for some support.
- Domestic Violence: My mind has also been with those of you stuck at home, when home is not a safe place. In crisis times, domestic violence escalates. If you or someone you know needs help, know that there are helpers nearby. If you’re in an urgent crisis, please call 911. Otherwise, text or call the National Domestic Violence hotline 24/7: 800-799-7233.
- Beacon Police: You can also always call the Beacon Police Department. Our police are part of the Dutchess County Domestic Abuse Response Team, and work with an advocate on site who supports people experiencing domestic violence. And there are many others regionally who can help, including shelters. Find all of this soon on the city’s website, cityofbeacon.org.
- This Census: Don’t forget the census.
You’re all in our thoughts. We’ll get through this together.