- COVID-19 Counts: Active COVID-19 cases continue to decline locally – down to around 1,300 in Dutchess County and 90 in Beacon.
- Peaceful Protest: The City of Beacon respects the peaceful protests arising from the killing of unarmed African-American men and women. The city is aware of a peaceful protest at Route 9D and Main today beginning at 2:30 PM. City staff have conferred with the event organizers to ensure a peaceful and safe event. Users of Route 9D should expect detours this afternoon. I have invited our Police Chief to Monday’s City Council meeting to explain current safety practices and training; the city website has details on how to listen in.
- COVID-19: Dutchess County expects to move to Phase 2 of re-opening this Tuesday, which will include offices, additional retail stores, and hair salons and barbershops – all with social distancing and cleaning protocols to keep us safe.
- Public Transit: Dutchess County buses return to full service starting today, and MetroNorth is increasing service – face coverings are required.
- Outdoors: Our city parks remain open with regular monitoring. Local State park trailheads are reopening, including the trailhead parking lot on Route 9D. Enjoy the outdoors safely – maintain social distancing, or if not possible wear face coverings.
- Pride Month: This past Monday I proclaimed June as Pride Month in Beacon, in recognition of the LGBT+ community and consistent with Congressional recognition. I have donated a Pride flag and it will fly alongside other flags at City Hall.