How Do I Apply

When the waiting list is open, applications may be picked up at our office located at One Forrestal Heights, Beacon, NY 12508.  

How much will my rent be?

HUD regulations specify the formula for calculating total tenant payment. TTP is the highest of the following amounts, rounded to the nearest dollar:

  • 30% of family’s monthly adjusted income
  • 10% of family’s monthly income
  • The PHA’s minimum rent ($50)
  • Welfare rent

What number am I on the waiting list?

Our office can give you an approximate time of wait for an apartment or Housing Choice Voucher.  Unfortunately, due to the use of preferences we are unable to provide applicants with a number.

Project Based Vouchers

Are utilities included?

Heat, hot water, gas, water, sewer and electric are included at Forrestal Heights.  Tenants pay for their own phone and cable if they desire those services.

Heat, hot water, water, sewer and gas are included at Hamilton Fish Plaza.  Tenants pay for their own electric, telephone, and cable.

What do I do if I have a maintenance problem?

Call the office at 845-831-1289.  If it is an emergency, and the office is closed, follow the telephone prompts to be connected with our 24 hour answering service.  There is a maintenance worker on call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for maintenance emergencies.

Is there a charge for maintenance requests?

Certain maintenance requests are billed to tenants.  All tenants receive a copy of the maintenance fee schedule at move in and a copy is posted in our main office.

Housing Choice Vouchers

I already have an apartment, can I have Housing Choice Voucher assistance?

Our office is unable to consider applicants for voucher assistance until their name reaches the top of the waiting list.

I have Housing Choice Voucher in another jurisdiction and want to move to the Beacon Housing Authority’s jurisdiction.  What do I do?

You must contact your Housing Choice Voucher worker and request that they mail our office portability paperwork.  Our office will be unable to assist you until that packet has been received. Once that packet is received, you may call our office to schedule a voucher briefing appointment.

General Interest

How do I add someone to my household?

You must receive the approval of our office prior to allowing anyone to move into your household.  Please contact your case worker for the appropriate paperwork

Do I have to report my income changes?

Yes.  You are required to report all income changes in writing immediately. Our office will verify the change and determine if an adjustment in your rent payment is necessary.